Patterned Paper packs a Punch: Quick Christmas Notecards

 I know I am not alone in having an excess of patterned paper! It hasn't completely stopped me buying new stuff... and I am eying up some new additions in the Stampin' Up Paper sale starting this Thursday!



But I have a major focus on using up some of my old papers: in fact I have a whole children's class for these holidays prepped using papers from 10 years ago!

Lots of tutorials out there have a goal of maximising the number of cards you can make from one sheet of paper, but that isn't so helpful for actually getting rid of stuff! But it is still beautiful paper, and I don't want to waste it. I have come up with this combo of gift pouch and notecards to showcase the papers while making simple but beautiful cards.

The pouch idea was inspired by Kelly Acheson and I first used it to make a gift set for a friend. I then used it for a tropical-themed children's class. Then today I had the inspiration to start Christmas cards (not sure why: its a beautiful spring day here in Cambridge, New Zealand!)


I used my retired Jolly Holiday DSP from 2010 (!). Luckily all the colours are still current: Cherry Cobbler, Pear Pizzazz, Old Olive and Very Vanilla, so it was easy to match in the co-ordinating inks and cardstock. 



First I cut a sheet of patterned 12 x 12 inch paper into 1 strip 7 1/2 inches by 12 inches. The remaining piece I cut at 3 inch intervals across the length, giving me four 3 x 4  1/2 inch pieces, just the right size for a notecard.

I made two very simple cards first: the patterned paper went straight onto the Very Vanilla Notecards


Then I added a stamped sentiment. The little Christmas tree from Coming home was just stamped onto a another scrap of  Jolly Holiday paper and cut out.


Then I stepped up the other two cards using mats and extra embellishments





I have used current stamp sets, punches and dies, and it would be very easy to duplicate these cards with new papers from the current catalogue, like Heartwarming Hugs, or Toile Tidings. The stamps sets I used were; Arrange a Wreath (and matching dies), Coming Home, the Lovely Labels Pick a Punch and the Tasteful Labels dies.

I still have the larger piece of paper and will make the pouch to match


Comments

Popular Posts